Re: END the MODERATION
by Boris Stremlin

Just out of curiosity -

Is there any interest out there for starting another list?  The sort of
list I have in mind would be more of a discussion list, rather than an
information-sharing list.  The focus would remain on world-systems
analysis and to some extent on related approaches (world history, macro-
sociology, civilizationism, perhaps critical theory), but the substance
would reside primarily in discussing recently published books, making
sense of current events in light of wsa and the work of it main
practitioners, and special sessions devoted to particular topics
(e.g. the "world party" discussion that took place on WSN in 1999) or the
recent work of listmembers, which would be distributed to the list.

As far as moderation, my (admittedly very limited) experience with running
a listserv suggests that a list which is restricted to subscribers (i.e.
no cross-posting by non-subscribers from other lists is possible), but
on which messages by subscribers are posted directly, rather than reviewed
individually by a moderator prior to being OK'd represents a via media
approach between overregulation and complete chaos.  On such a list,
moderators, as has been suggested recently, might step in to contain
abusive behavior or wildly off-topic posts, but would otherwise remain in
the background.

If people are interested, please respond to me privately (to avoid
cluttering WSN).  I would also be interested to know whether anyone would
be able to run such a list off a university server.  The other option
would be to use Yahoo-groups, which is, unfortunately, supported by ads,
but I have not found them to be troublesome in other contexts.

--
Boris Stremlin
bstremli@binghamton.edu