Re: Conservative Europe
by Threehegemons

In a message dated 12/30/2002 1:03:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, boles@svsu.edu
writes:

> The study behind this article suggests that Europeans are, on the whole,
> nearly as conservative as Americans on numerous issues,
> including
> fundamental worldviews

I had trouble understanding why the authors conclude this.  Here are some
specifics from this study:  Well over 50% of the French and citizens of Great
Britain believe US foreign policy was partly responsible for 9/11 (the authors
give no figures for the US!).  91% of Americans consider International
terrorism a major threat, while only 65% of Europeans feel the same way.  60%
of Americans feel threatened by immigrants, 38% of Europeans.  56% of Americans
are worried about China as a great power, 19% of Europeans.  26% of Europeans
believe the US should not invade Iraq under any circumstances,  Americans, 13%.
 One of the major convergences of opinion is on whether the US should attack
Iraq with the backing of the UN and allies:  Europe, 60%, US 65%.  Here the
possibility that many Europeans have a different perception of the likelihood
of such approval may be a factor.  52% of the US believes the US should be the
only superpower, while only 14% of Europeans agree.  Conversely, 65% of
Europeans believe Europe should be a super power, as opposed to 33% of the US.

There is a good deal of common ground, but things get set in motion by
governments, not popular opinion.  The US government is presently firmly in the
hands of leaders who are well outside that middle ground, and may easily
amplify differences between Europe and the US.

Steven Sherman