Re: Info on Free Trade Zones?
by Threehegemons
19 November 2002 03:36 UTC

Naomi Klein's No Logo, p. 202-229 has an excellent description of labor
conditions in export processing zones, as they are more correctly described.  I
usually mention to my students that conditions beyond EPZs in the periphery and
semi-periphery aren't rosy.  Within the context of the capitalist world system,
there is a huge labor glut (which the core manages through immigration
controls), which isn't exactly the creation of the world bank.  The book "The
Internationalization of Palace Wars" (a little difficult for undergrads)
suggests that the World Bank's employees do not see themselves as the authors
of the neoliberal 'Washington Consensus', and, in contrast to the perception of
the IMF/World Bank by outsiders,they see themselves as easily pushed around and
frustrated by the imperatives of certain governments and capital.

Steven Sherman