CFP:What's Love Got To Do With It?
by Rodney Coates
11 November 2002 18:16 UTC

What's Love Got to Do With It: Love, Identity, and other Anti-Racist Pedagogy and Movements - call for abstracts - Southern Sociological Society Annual Meetings (April - 2003, New Orleans)

Much of what goes and has gone for civil rights, revolutionary dialogue, and social movements has been predicated upon hatred of or vilification of the other.  While such hatred is a wonderful organizing tool, in modern times it has rarely been as effective as those movements (often mis-identified as identity politics) which centers its organizing upon group and individual self-love and empowerment.  From Gandhi to King such progress can be identified.  The questions that this session attempts to grapple with are many.  For example: does binary oppositional thinking preclude issues of love, self- worth, and group empowerment.  Can issues of hatred of the other adequately empower one who has been denied self worth from a hegemonic system of racial oppression. We are looking for papers that will confront racialized structures from the vantage point of emotional uplift, socio-political activism, and radical (as in structural, economic redistributive) methods of empowerment.

All perspectives are welcomed

contact me directly..

and thanks..

rodney coates (chair CREM)
director of black world studies
professor of sociology
miami university

If we are to combat the insanity of our world, we need to explore love, self, and each other.  Join me in this exploration

When love reigns supreme, then we will see the beauty of our existence!

Please check out my new series: The Art of Love at the following url:

More Generally: My poetry can be found at: