Re: Saima Alvi's Contribution to Understanding
by kjkhoo
02 October 2002 02:43 UTC

At 9:10 AM -0400 1/10/02, Threehegemons@aol.com wrote:
>  If one wants to complain about potentially racist generalizations
>about peoples, one may wish to critique the comments Ehud Barak made
>in an interview a few months ago about Palestinians (or was it all
>Arabs?) basically being liars.  One might also wish to critique the
>common practice of rabbis and other Jewish community leaders of
>blaming the German people in general for the Holocaust.  That these
>two examples have generated virtually no criticism in the Jewish
>community makes claims that it is only Jews who are collectively
>held responsible for policies of specific political forces rather
>specious.

gives me an opening for a gripe. for more than a decade now there's
all this scholarly talk of overseas chinese business networks, the
overseas chinese, etc. and not so scholarly talk of the bamboo
network, lords of the pacific rim, etc.

all without demure from scholars, indeed with funding etc. i have
often wondered whether an application to study jewish business
networks would even get past the first rung...

kj khoo