Re: questions for discussion
by Elson Boles
30 September 2002 20:08 UTC

Steve: I think you still miss the forest for the trees.  That there are
growing differences of global policy between the US and Europe heads of
state, no doubt.  Will the differences grow?  Quite likely.  But just
how "deep-seated" the differences are, and whether they will it become a
real rift, something even approaching the Cold War, seems rather far
off.  I think they have much more in common than not, and increasingly
the conflicts are being resolved through the UN.  What seems to be
happening is perhaps analogous to when classes became state-oriented in
pursuing their interests, which was to strengthen the interstate system.
Increasingly, national-ethnic classes (workers and enterprises), ethnic
and other status-based groups, are pursuing their interests globally and
becoming UN-oriented.  The question is, over then next 20 years or
longer, which will grow faster, the intra-core rivalries or the ability
and power of the UN to resolve those rivalries?

That the war with Iraq contributes today to the general differences of
global policy between US and EU or even Security Council states, no
doubt.  But it is hard to not notice, as Boris notes, a trend of
European support for US-led wars, or non-involvement.  Again, I haven't
seen any convincing evidence that a US invasion of Iraq will cause in a
real rift between Europe and the US.  (And what is new about Russia or
China's opposition?  Nothing.  Iraq's another bargaining chip!)

Boris: As for the Gulf War, yes, it is (and was) unimaginable that
anti-war sentiment would have conditioned an election in Europe at that
time.  But that is because the context was radically different: Iraq had
blatantly invaded another sovereign state for one (a state that the US
had gone to great lengths in arming Iraq to ensure, in part, that it
wouldn't be invaded by Iran).  In Kosovo, Europeans hesitated to
escalate with ground troops in part because the fighting was at their
backdoor, and in part for the same reasons the US politically preferred
air strikes.  But they all went ahead with an even more massive air
assault than that on Iraq because the ethnic cleansing on both sides of
the conflict embarrassed Europe and didn't tie-in well with EU
unification, and justified NATO.  And let's not forget Afghanistan which
everyone went along with for the most part, again because the outward
violence against the US was blatant (not covert), and next to impossible
for allies others to openly oppose even if they had wanted to.  But of
course, they didn't want to because politically Afghanistan isn't the
Middle East, and does open oil line possibilities.  (And we might make
mention of Rwanda in '94; all agreed to simply ignore the genocide of a
million lives -- or so-called "acts of genocide" -- and hoped no-one
noticed that they knew exactly what was happening but chose to not get
involved because they didn't have any "national interests" at stake --
and they succeeded fantastically in this).

The bit of resistance to the campaigns in Kosovo and Afghanistan wasn't
based primarily on, as it is with the US-planned invasion of Iraq today,
practical grounds or political grounds that can be ignored (as with
Rwanda).  The grounds today that can't be ignored include the fallout of
Middle East instability from a US invasion and the overthrowing of a
government that isn't actively undermining the sovereignty of other
states, or pursuing communist policies, or involved in ethnic cleansing
in Europe, or international terrorism against the US.

In planning to undermine a state that is basically minding it's own
business -- which of course can't be said of any of the core states --
the US is setting a new post cold-war precedent to advance with a
blatant military invasion the interests of those corporations that have
the greatest influence on the US government (most of them being
US-based), and to leave German businesses out in the cold for not toeing
the line.  These are the sharp differences of Iraq today compared to
Afghanistan, Kosovo, or Rwanda.

Elson Boles
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Sociology