Re: questions for discussion
by Elson Boles
26 September 2002 16:34 UTC

As for Europe, note that while Schroeder isn't backing off his position
-- how could he? -- he has become nearly apologetic for the damage done
to US relations, and, as the recent post on oil (that I sent) indicates,
the US says it is going make life a little more difficult for German
enterprises and politicians.  At the personal level, GW and staff aren't
returning Germany's calls to patch up the differences.  If it weren't
for the elections, Schroeder wouldn't have taken his position, and if it
weren't for GW's push to invade Iraq, Schroeder wouldn't have been
re-elected.  In short, I don't think a growing rift will develop between
Europe and the US on this -- Wallerstein overemphasized that.  The only
possibility lies with a mass anti-war movement in Europe, which just
isn't very likely, not unless the war becomes protracted.  If it does,
then a small movement could develop here too.  How long is protracted?
At least a year of street fighting in my view.

Steve is convincing in that just which way the war will go is difficult
to predict.  I personally think that the combination of technological
"advances" in war making as seen in Yugoslavia, and the likelihood of
defections by people in Hussein's inner circles (they recall the "turkey
shoot" in the desert ten years ago), will see a war shorter than that
still going on in Afghanistan.

But the economic fallout of the war -- paid this time by the US -- will
probably lead to "regime change" here with the next presidential
elections, just as it did for Bush Sr.

Elson