Re: Fwd: 9/15/02 Bush Planned Iraq 'Regime Change' Before
by kjkhoo
17 September 2002 04:09 UTC

Why is it insane?

But perhaps more to the point, it is not alone, nor is it new. As the
PNAC report itself puts it, it sees its proposals as the carry
through of the Cheney proposals at the end of Bush pere's reign. The
RAND also put forward similar proposals in 2000, addressed to the
incoming Bush jr., also available on their website. It is perhaps a
measure of confidence that such documents are freely available -- the
Sunday Herald report is wrong is say it's 'secret', as the PNAC
document can be downloaded off their website.

I think a reading of the various policy forums, both
establishmentarian and neo-con, shows they also have the same drift,
indeed similar, sometimes identical, language.

Still, this is all probably the moment of hubris; and the Greeks had
it right on that one. But as the Greeks well knew, the suffering and
destruction that is consequent upon such hubris, not only for the
party thus afflicted, but for others, is great. And so it will be,
unless Americans put a stop to it, for only they can do so; all other
players, even if they should so wish, are actually quite helpless in
the face of such hubris although one wishes they had some backbone to
at least stand up to it. But it looks like Americans aren't about to
do so.

kj khoo