Re: r.biel@ucl.ac.uk
by Farouk Sohawon
09 September 2002 09:49 UTC

Dear Patrick,

Thanks for your appreciation.

For a long time Zed has either been ignored or poopooed by so-called radicals
because we do not have the muscle that other big publishers have.  What is more
important is that Zed has progressed in a sustainable fashion.  I do not want
to go
into the history of Zed since its creation, but it is the only Northern-based
publisher
that has managed to get its books in many Southern countries at an accessible
price.  Besides we have always had a good percentage of Southern authors whom
the traditonal Northern publishers would not touch with a barge pole.  Examples
are
Nawal el Saadawi, Vandana Shiva, Kavaljit Singh, Nzongola-Ntalaja, Bade
Onimode.  I can go on and on.  There are other Northern 'star' authors who
would
go to the traditional publishers.  They do it for the money.  We can understand
that
as writing is their livelihood and we do not have big money to dole out.  But
they
should not lecture to us!

I am sure and I hope the discussion will go on and that we will deal with other
aspects of radical publishing.

Onve again thanks for your kind words of support.

Farouk Sohawon

Sales Manager

Forwarded by:           "Michael Pallis" <admin.ZEDBOOKS>
Forwarded to:           FAROUK