Re: Misleading Economic Indicators ...
by francesco ranci
07 June 2002 14:29 UTC

The not so clear sentence about "effects of effects"
refers to the dominant view, according to S., not to
his own view. I think you know better than me what he
means. My remarks was just a matter of style.

Everything can be considered as "cause", as well as
"effect" of something else, but not at the same time.
"Rain", for evampe, is a cause poddles, as well as an
effect of storms. But you would not say that a pond is
an effect of an effect of a storm.

Something becomes "cause", or "effect", of something
else, by virtue of a specific chain of reasoning
(different chains, in the two cases).

First you have a paradigm (like "I WALK TO THE BREAD
STORE")
Then you have a difference: ("I FELL IN A PODDLE")
So you can ask yourself how this could happen and try
an explanation (i.e. consider the event as an effect
of a cause)
All this chain of reasoning does not arise as long as
you get to the breadstore safe and do not need to
question your paradigm about it.

Many thinkers of the past and of the present think tha
laws are made of cause and effect relationships. I
disagree on this point. Causes and effects are called
in to preserve laws. They may or may not be laws
(paradigms, frames, terms of reference, schemes,
whatever you may want to call them).

Does economics assume that "men go for money" ? That
does not suffice in itself to explain "business
cycles" (and many other things, by the way). As far as
I know, tne basic paradigm about business cycles is to
be found in Paul Lafargue's pamphlet, "The Right to Be
Lazy".