Modernity comes to the Middle East
by LLang944
17 May 2002 15:01 UTC

Never one to easily embrace popular opions, a few weeks ago, when things
looked so bleak in Israel, I neverthess-with my colleague/student wrote a
basically optimistic piece on the rise of civil societies/democratic public
spheres in Islamic/Arabic countries.   This morning, the front page of my
local paper, Chicago Trib, and op-ed of NYT  seemed to confirm the analysis.
In the first case, children of Black September leaders, assasinate by Mossad
before their eyes, grew up to be leftists advocating a democratic PA.  At the
same time, there seems to be  real questioning withing the Palestinian
intellectual elite about Arafat's policies, corruption, incompetance, and
above all, the strategy of suicide bombers that discredited the Palestinian
cause and brought only death and devastation to the Palestianians. Anyhow,
here's our analysis of the possiblities for modernity....
http://www.logosjournal.com/
Not copywritten, feel free to post to other left lists, best, Lauren