Re: NYTimes.com Article: Saudi to Warn Bush of Rupture Over Israel Policy
by Elson Boles

I thought the last paragraph of this significant development, because it
says it all, ought to be "translated."

> "This is not a mistake or a policy gaffe," the person close
> to Abdullah said, referring to Mr. Bush's approach. "He
> made a strategic, conscious decision to go with Sharon, so
> your national interest is no longer our national interest;
> now we don't have joint national interests. What it means
> is that you go your way and we will go ours, economically,
> militarily and politically - and the antiterror coalition
> would collapse in the process."

Translation: Your idiotic support for Sharon and "national" interest in
buying our oil, and our interest in selling you our oil and staying in
power, are becoming incompatible because your shift is undermining the main
basis of our regime's legitimacy in the eyes of our masses (and neighboring
masses) filling the streets.  So you had better make some concessions to
Arafat quick before we're either forced to take a strong anti-American
stance or we are toppled, with the region possibly falling into chaos.

html?ex=1020700594&ei=1&en=6a780b53df7d7302

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company