Re: NYTimes.com Article: All Roads Lead to D.C.
by Albert Bergesen

"Empire" or late hegemony?

Actually, people use the designation "empire", but the phenomena is more
likely late hegemony, where the hegemon's economic position has begun to
decline but the political/military global stretch is still there.

Hence it seems like military for the sake of military, hence like earlier
"empires".  But it is not that the US is like past empires, such as the
British or Spanish, but that those were periods of late hegemony, when what
sticks out is the political/military aspect, and given the growing
balkanization of the world economy, it leads some to see the "up" side of
"empire":  provider of order.

But what needs to be remembered is that one only "appreciates"
international order when it is declining.  And that, isn't because of rogue
states etc. but because of the reproductive dynamics of the capitalist
world economy as manifest in the circulation hegemonies and the resultant
Schumpeterian creative destruction.

Hegemonic decline, then provides for (1) the sense of, and reality of,
dis-order:  rogue states, terrorism, etc. and (2) the empire-like behavior
of the hegemon, who,  because of the earlier economic hegemony has the
global military reach, but now, with that complete dominance a thing of the
past, and a balkanizing world, is left with the military reach, and that
takes the appearance to many as "empire".  They don't know how to put it
otherwise.

Economic outreach + military outreach ='s imperialism, economic
imperialism, underdevelopment, the imperialism of free trade, and so forth.
 That's the characterization of the US and Britain at mid-20th, 19th
centuries.  But when the economic declines, then a new equation is created:
 military outreach ='s late hegemony, or the term "empire" becomes more
popular, which if this NY Times article is reflective of a shift in
charaterizations, is what we are seeing.  It is how things are
characterized because no one sees the world-system part to all this.  Its
still part and parcel of the dynamics of capitalist reproduction; its just
now in the hegemonic decline, or posthegemony, or
start-of-the-competitive-rivalry-phase, or how ever you want to put it.

When you look at the region of ownership of the world's 500 largest firms,
the most recent data shows it is about a third American, a third European,
a third Asian see the recent American Behavioral Scientist article by
Bergesen and Sonnett).
1/3, 1/3, 1/3 is not economic "empire", but it is, given American
predominance earlier, clearly a matter of a decline in American economic
hegemony, and as such the global economic substrate that underlies the
present talk of empire.

It seems ironic:  economic decline leads to military assertion.  But it is
military assertion by default.  No one believes that the US will be the
next economic hegemon during the next sustained upswing of the world
economy, but like Britain at the end of the 19th/early 20th, so today at
the end of the 20th/early 21st, it is the extant hegemon that intervenes
around the world while the hegemon-in-waiting concentrates on economic
expansion, not military overhead.  Britain was certainly all over the globe
at the turn of the 19th/20th but that "empire" didn't guarantee that they
would be the next economic hegemon.  That, as history shows, was the US.
So now, at the turn of the 20th/21st century who is militarily all over the
globe?  The US.  And will that guarantee, provide for, help, etc. the US to
move back to economic hegemony?  Doubtful.  It didn't for the British and
it seems doubtful that it will for the US.

Empire is a manifestation of decline.  It isn't a stragegy of ascent or
mature hegemonic dominance. Those who sing the praise of American Empire
are whistling in the dark, except they don't know that the lights are going
out.

ab

Albert J. Bergesen
Dept. of Sociology