From: Trich Ganesh [mailto:TGanesh@southampton.liu.edu]
Sent: 26 March 2002 20:09
To: Jonathan Davis
Cc: wsn@csf.colorado.edu
Subject: Re: Fwd: A Must Read: Brillinat article on the Indian situation
by

Dear Jonathan,

I am a little wary of being dragged into a space where I often find it
hard to retain my 'cool'.  I understand your questions are well-
intentioned.  So are some of the ones that I raise below.

Is it not the state that supplies identities to its 'citizens'?  Am I
correct in assuming that there is no 'state' without its complement
of 'citizens', and that there are no 'citizens' who do not belong to a
'state'?    Are not all identities socially constructed through and
through, and if so how do they appear so "natural"? What is at
stake in making it appear as if citizenship were the most 'natural'
thing in the world, as well as the most contested?  And are our
times remarkably different in this respect from past epochs?  I have
read so much now by so many different scholars about the growing
obsolescence of the nation-state.  And yet at the very moment
when Hegel's owl of Minerva seems to have flown over the nation- state
(as the historian Hobsbawm concludes), there is such a
resurgence of nationality, nationlism, ethnic violence, pogroms and
mass slaughters.  How now?  Is there perhaps some other deeper
logic at work producing both the paradox and the horrors of the
paradox?

Why do the identities bestowed upon us have to determine our
knowlege of ourselves, and our potential to be?  Is it only through
my identity as a Hindu or an Indian that you re-cognize who I am?
Is there really an essential Hindu, an essential Muslim, and an
essential Christian?  Or an essential Jew?   Who is the one who
seeks to hold on to these identities?  What is it that is 'valorized' in

holding on to these identities?  And who is the one who supplies
the value to these identities?  How do these values get produced
and reproduced?

Until these questions are sorted out in crystal clear manner, the
implications of assuming an identity, for me,  will never be clear.
All I know when I hear rabid Hindus cry "Hindutva" (an essential
Hindu-ness) and commit pogroms, is that I am not "their" Hindu.  I
refuse to be represented by them and I refuse to be silent in
acknowledging that what they do is right.  And I am reminded
tantalizingly, of the powerful enigma locked in Agamben's cryptic
assertion that 'a man without a representable identity would be of
no use to the state'.

At the risk of not appearing to answer your question directly, I am
reminded as well, of the novelist Golding's lines that in the
twentieth century - and I would say in the twenty first as well - "it
has become commonplace for a random selection of people to
inflict utter cruelty upon one another".  If we go further back in world

history, the 20th century may not appear that unique at all.  As
Benjamin declares, 'there is no document of civilization that is not
also a document of its barbarism': in short, civilization always had
barbarism as its necessary complement.  That does not however
imply that it will always be so or that it should always be so.  It is
not by slaughtering my neighborers that I am redressed for the
wrong done by people who look like him or believe like him or talk
like him.  No religion that I am aware of ever says so - not the Gita,
not the Koran, not the Bible, not the Old Testament (let alone the
Mishnah or the Talmud), not the Granth Sahib, not the Zend
Avesta.  Any one who claims to be religious and draws inspiration
from any of these texts and yet allows himself to slip into terrible
savagery (of the kind that you and I are talking about) or to
condone it, Jonathan, has fallen from high places!

Be well.  TKGanesh.