International Aid Levels
by Ricardo Migueis

Just a little comment on this,

It is obvious that the amount of money being spent on ODA is an essential
indicator, however Deputy Prime Minister John Manley has a point when saying
few ideas are a must. What I think is still to be understood is that aid
levels do not equate with economic growth. Efforts should be concentrated on
improving the accountability of both aid agencies and recipients if the
generality of aid projects are to be held legitimate and not discredited.
This view is closely inter-related with the creation of the Tobin Tax for
example, which could become a a very good way of increasing global levels of
aid, however there are innnovative ways engaing in projects with private
sector that should be prioratised. One of these initiatives came from the
world bank itself... The FT reported on it yesterday, you can check it at:
www.developmentspace.com .

Ricardo Migueis

>>>Hello WSN World,

Some news from Canada's CBC on international aid...

>>>Adam
>>>
>>>PM, World Leaders Evaluate International Aid Levels
>>>Last Updated Wed, 20 Mar 2002 9:00:33
>>>
>>>OTTAWA - Wealthy nations of the world are gathering to
>>>talk about aid to poor countries but the pre-drafted
>>>final agreement contains no new promises and no new
>>>money.
>>>
>>>Prime Minister Jean Chrétien will travel to Monterrey,
>>>Mexico, Wednesday to join other world leaders at a
>>>United Nations conference on aid for poor nations.
>>>
>>>But a study by the Organization for Economic
>>>Co-operation says public and private contributions to
>>>developing countries fell by almost 25 per cent in
>>>1999 and 2000.
>>>
>>>Conference delegates say they are at the conference to
>>>try to co-ordinate a new approach to funding.
>>>
>>>Deputy Prime Minister John Manley said he feels new
>>>ideas about international aid are necessary.
>>>
>>>"It's very troubling. I think to see, you know, the
>>>mess we've made of aid and support programs in a lot
>>>of parts of the world," Manley said.
>>>
>>>But the declaration, known as the Monterrey Consensus,
>>>has already been negotiated. It restates that wealthy
>>>nations should give 0.7 per cent of their Gross
>>>National Product (GNP).
>>>
>>>Few countries do that. Canada gives 0.25 per cent of
>>>its GNP.
>>>
>>>UN Secretary General Kofi Annan had advocated a
>>>doubling of development aid within a three year
>>>period.
>>>

>>>Written by CBC News Online staff
>>>
>>>=====
>>>Adam T. Starr
>>>Undergraduate of Political Science, UVic
>>>3009 Quadra Street, Victoria, British Columbia
>>>V8T 4G2 Canada
>>>(011) (250) 472-1223
>>>adam@hornbyisland.com or reunitedhornby@yahoo.com

Ricardo Migueis
Euro-Latin American Forum
Institute on Strategic and International Studies (Lisbon)
www.ieei.pt
Ricardo@loudbrain.com
&
Politika
Social and Political Science Centre
Strategical Forecasting and Investigation
www.Politika_cesp.com (in construction)