empire, law and important boundaries and dates
by Fernando Gomez

Title: empire, law and important boundaries and dates
Dear WSN people:

I have been enjoying the recent exchanges. So I wanted to chip in with some comments and questions.

One: I would like to highlight the effort to move the world system theories  towards something else, a next phase, dimension, etc. (I have in mind Hardt/Negri's Empire, and I apologize if this conversation has already taken place). Which might --or might not-- be directly related to cultures of scholarship as for example the proposal of Open the Social Sciences, also with Wallerstein. The movements, mutations, transformations of the matrix of capitalism and how this might have an impact on all of us in relation to our scholarship, conceptions of history, focus on what kinds of problems, etc.

I confess that I do not quite see the associations between what we may call "the law" and the supposed de-centering, diffusionist, foggy no-clear-center, no-clear-periphery geography described by H &N. At least in my reading. Except perhaps the  bankruptcy in the articulation of legal principles (division from politics, etc.). Which does not mean that they are not operative. Should we wish to emphasize convergence:  If law is regulation, and the frame we all suffer is national regulation for the  most part, what does it mean that we are in a supposedly de-regulated, extremely flexible living situation globally? Is this so? Yes, no? The irrelevance of officially appointed "law people"? Kafka's The Castle or the burocratic society?

It was really interesting: I got to witness a somewhat high-profile panel in a conservative right-wing think tank, and there you could see a formerly extremely visible Republican leader talking the tough talk of war, tanks, Iraq, etc. side by side a well-respected, also visible constitutional lawyer. Clearly you could see and hear on the one hand, explicit no-nonsense talk of American domination, and on the other, the talk of Constitutional values and rights, and how these may be damaged by the current situation and how we "want smart government" and euphemisms of this sort, or  implicit American domination. These two discourses do not interesect  however. These two people do not take too many panels together. But I would say the bottom theme is the same. And of course the constitutional lawyer had nothing to say when the political imagination took all of us to contemplate the world at large. Once you step outside your national tradition, wellŠ This is how I see law and the supposedly decentered world. The initiative for the International Criminal Court of Justice is out there, however. I should mention that the shriveled branch of international law in most law schools, but also history and philophy of law is a clear symptom of this, which is why you have a non-philosophical, non-historical take on business-level regulation (i.e. policy) levels and the whole point is that there is nothing else. Any suggestions, thoughts, comments?

Two: Hardt/Negri try to work within Wallerstein's panoramic work. They try to move it further. Bring it to another level. Push the envelope. I don't know if they success. They try. I am not aware if W. himself has responded to this. It would be great to know (of course a delightful possibility if W. himself commented on this). I honestly do not think the big picture of historical things gets much improved by H/N riding a virtual car in the highway from Roman Empire to Washington. And nothing else. Law is incorported here but as little more than bankruptcy as before. Any takes on this?

Final thing: Any good sources on Westphalia-1648? If we take this as a turning point for influential and long-lasting boundary-creating, any good sources on pre- and post-1648?

Many thanks and keep it alive,