Re: Charles J. Reid
by Charles J. Reid

I am in close agreement with you Dennis. The "three strikes" laws prove
your point. Under old Anglo-Saxon law and its conception of Natural Law,
each act is judged on it own merits, and penalties fit that act. Unrelated
transgressions are not permissible as evidence. However, in both France
and Germany, one act is considered together with all acts, in a manner
similar to 3-strikes. In addition, "deal making" that minimizes penalties
for the "cooperative" part of a criminal enterprise a la Valacchi has
destroyed the original conception of Justice as conceived of in 1787. So I
agree that we have abandoned our foundational legal system and replaced it
with another, less humane and more dishonorable and dishonest one.

//CJR