Founding myths of the state of Israel
by Louis Proyect

Last Friday night I attended a lecture by Jillian Schwedler on
"Political Islam" at Simon's Rock College in Great Barrington,
Massachusetts. Her talk was marred by a kind of conventional
political science approach to the question. She stated that when the
Islamic Brotherhood was "included" in the political process in
Jordan, it was successfully co-opted. But when it is "excluded", as
it was in Egypt, the result is terrorism. During the discussion
period, a particularly perceptive member of the audience commented
that terms like "inclusion" or "exclusion" are not helpful when they
are presented without a side-by-side class analysis of Jordan and
Egypt. The absence of terrorism in Jordan might have more to do with
the absence of extreme economic inequality than anything else. To her
credit, Schwedler admitted that this was true.

Afterwards we attended an informal reception for the speaker at the
elegant new home of Prof. Ahmet Tonak, organizer of the lecture
series and gracious host. As might be expected, the topic of
discussion remained centered on the evening's lecture. Given the
progressive make-up of the attendees, it is not surprising to have
found universal condemnation of Ariel Sharon.

Perhaps fortified by my third bottle of beer and my customary desire
to shock and outrage conventional liberal thinking, I stated that the
only solution was to create a purely secular state based on equal
rights for the Palestinians, especially since everybody knows that
there is no archaeological basis for the claim of a Jewish state in
the Biblical era. I said that Moses never existed; the walls of
Jericho never came tumbling down; and, most importantly, there were
no Kingdoms of Israel or Judah led by Solomon, David, et al.

This led one guest to practically jump out of her seat and shout,
"How can you say that? The evidence is all around you if you visit
Israel. Just go, you'll see it for yourself."

Almost on cue, the Saturday NY Times reported on the following
morning:

"Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did
Moses. The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably
never occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of
Jericho. And David, far from being the fearless king who built
Jerusalem into a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader
whose reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for
a fledgling nation."

Lee I. Levine, a professor at the Hebrew University, wrote a recent
essay titled "Biblical Archaeology," that states: "There is no
reference in Egyptian sources to Israel's sojourn in that country and
the evidence that does exist is negligible and indirect."
Furthermore, the few indirect pieces of evidence, like the use of
Egyptian names, "are far from adequate to corroborate the historicity
of the biblical account."

Nor is there clear evidence for the conquest and settlement of
Canaan, the ancient name for the area including Israel. Since
excavations show that Jericho was unwalled and uninhabited, Levine is
forced to admit that there is scant evidence for "the violent and
complete conquest portrayed in the Book of Joshua." And, as if
intended to give the guest at Ahmet's reception a stroke, there is,
according to Levine, an "almost total absence of archaeological
evidence" backing up the Bible's grand descriptions of the Jerusalem
of David and Solomon.

The net effect of this and other scholarship in the same vein has
been the creation of a new Torah, accepted by all wings of Judaism
except the orthodoxy, that now treats the story of Moses, etc. as
legends. The hope is to re-establish the ethical core of Judaism, an
urgent task obviously in the light of the brutality of the state of
Israel today, which rests on these bloody legends of the Old
Testament.

Although I was pleasantly surprised to find my arguments corroborated
in the NY Times, I had been following this "revisionist" scholarship
in one form or another for quite some time. Only a couple of weeks
earlier, I had come across an article titled "False Testament:
Archaeology Refutes the Bible's Claim to History" by Dan Lazare in
the March 2002 Harper's Magazine, an article that I referred my
antagonist to. I told her that I would be glad to visit Israel, if
she would read the article. Although Harper's, as is their wont, does
not make this or any of their other fine articles online, I would
strongly urge comrades to track it down since Lazare's stance is far
more radical than the NY Times's, as one might expect. He starts his
article with a call to re-evaluate all that we have associated with
unvarnished Old Testament history, like the reactionary Paul
Johnson's 1987 best-selling "History of the Jews" (I would add bad
movies like "Exodus" to the list). Lazare says:

>>Not long ago, archaeologists could agree that the Old Testament,
for all its embellishments and contradictions, contained a kernel of
truth. Obviously, Moses had not parted the Red Sea or turned his
staff into a snake, but it seemed clear that the Israelites had
started out as a nomadic band somewhere in the vicinity of ancient
Mesopotamia; that they had migrated first to Palestine and then to
Egypt; and that, following some sort of conflict with the
authorities, they had fled into the desert under the leadership of a
mysterious figure who was either a lapsed Jew or, as Freud
maintained, a high-born priest of the royal sun god Aton whose cult
had been overthrown in a palace coup. Although much was unknown,
archaeologists were confident that they had succeeded in nailing down
at least these few basic facts.

That is no longer the case. In the last quarter century or so,
archaeologists have seen one settled assumption after another
concerning who the ancient Israelites were and where they came from
proved false. Rather than a band of invaders who fought their way
into the Holy Land, the Israelites are now thought to have been an
indigenous culture that developed west of the Jordan River around
1200 B.C.

Abraham, Isaac, and the other patriarchs appear to have been spliced
together out of various pieces of local lore. The Davidic Empire,
which archaeologists once thought as incontrovertible as the Roman,
is now seen as an invention of Jerusalem-based priests in the seventh
and eighth centuries B.C. who were eager to burnish their national
history. The religion we call Judaism does not reach well back into
the second millennium B.C. but appears to be, at most, a product of
the mid-first.

This is not to say that individual elements of the story are not
older. But Jewish monotheism, the sole and exclusive worship of an
ancient Semitic god known as Yahweh, did not fully coalesce until the
period between the Assyrian conquest of the northern Jewish kingdom
of Israel in 722 B.C. and the Babylonian conquest of the southern
kingdom of Judah in 586.

Some twelve to fourteen centuries of "Abrahamic" religious
development, the cultural wellspring that has given us not only
Judaism but Islam and Christianity, have thus been erased. Judaism
appears to have been the product not of some dark and nebulous period
of early history but of a more modern age of big-power politics in
which every nation aspired to the imperial greatness of a Babylon or
an Egypt. Judah, the sole remaining Jewish outpost by the late eighth
century B.C., was a small, out-of-the-way kingdom with little in the
way of military or financial clout. Yet at some point its priests and
rulers seem to have been seized with the idea that their national
deity, now deemed to be nothing less than the king of the universe,
was about to transform them into a great power. They set about
creating an imperial past commensurate with such an empire, one that
had the southern heroes of David and Solomon conquering the northern
kingdom and making rival kings tremble throughout the known world.
>From a "henotheistic" cult in which Yahweh was worshiped as the chief
god among many, they refashioned the national religion so that
henceforth Yahweh would be worshiped to the exclusion of all other
deities. One law, that of Yahweh, would now reign supreme.<<

For those who want to pursue the topic in depth, I recommend Keith
Whitelam's "The Invention of Ancient Israel" (Routledge, 1996), which
is the best all-round scholarly treatment of the topic and, just as
importantly, the political ramifications.

In the chapter titled "Inventing Ancient Israel," he mounts an
extended critique of biblical scholar G. E. Wright, who uses the
out-of-date understanding of Israel's past to implicitly defend
justify Israel's territorial ambitions today. Wright states:

"The conquest of Canaan whereby Israel secured a land for itself, was
interpreted as God's gift of an inheritance. The land was not
interpreted as belonging to various individuals and families of
Israel as a natural right, but was thought of as a gift of God. Thus
there came about a special understanding of the meaning of property
and of obligation in relation to God, the land, which was God's gift,
would be taken away at a future time."

Whitelam replies:

"It is astounding that he should believe that it was to the benefit
of the indigenous people that they were wiped out and their land
appropriated by Israelites or Arameans. This is an even more extreme
variant of Lord Balfour's speech to Parliament in June 1910,
critiqued by [Edward] Said, in which he argues that the British
government of Egypt was exercised for the good of Egyptians and the
whole of the civilized West. It forms part of the standard
justification of imperialism and colonization in that the imperial
power acts on behalf of the indigenous population. Equally astounding
is Wright's view that this appropriation of land was in the long-term
good of Palestine since the survivors were forced to remain on a thin
strip of the coast where they became a great trading force. As Elon
(1983: 150) points out, many early Zionists were of the unthinking
belief that Zionism represented progress with the implied or
expressed assumption that Jewish settlement would ultimately benefit
the Arabs. In fact, the Arab population were considered to be
potential Zionists and were expected to welcome the Jews as a matter
of course. Elon concludes that this was so self-evident for most
Zionists that they never considered any alternative perception of
what was happening. Similarly, the facts of the past are so
self-evident for Wright that he does not consider any alternative
construction."

Now that we have an "alternative construction" accepted by segments
of official Jewry, it should be integrated with the task of exposing
Zionism's crimes. Not only is Israel acting against the legitimate
rights of the Palestinian people, it is doing so in the name of a
bunch of lies.

--
Louis Proyect, lnp3@panix.com on 03/11/2002

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org