Re: New World Cotton
by Bruce McFarling

At 15:06 06/03/02 +0100, Immanuel Wallerstein wrote:
>paragraph five of the quoted book says there was a sudden influx of cotton
>into Europe.....I ask WHY the "sudden influx" etc????fascinating. would
>appreciate your response.bw

It actually says massive.  But as I recall my Caribbean history,
sea island cotton was among the first successful plantation
crops in the Caribbean.

(of course with enough people showing up hoping to get rich
quick, something as obvious as trying to grow the cotton that
can be turned into a cloth so fine that an unsophisticated
European market could almost confuse it for silk would be
sure to get a try)

Virtually,

Bruce McFarling, New Lambton, NSW
ecbm@cc.newcastle.edu.au