Re: cotton in the world system, raw materal specific world
by Mark Douglas Whitaker

Hello,

         I've got a comparative paper between cotton, wool, and worsted for
this period in British industrialization. Summary at:

http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~mrkdwhit/intersci-l/index2.htm
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~mrkdwhit/intersci-l/files/RMADOL/RMADOLsummary.html
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~mrkdwhit/intersci-l/files/RMADOL/RMADOLconclusion.html

full paper:
http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~mwhitake/

It's under review as shorted series of articles for the American
Sociological Journal.

The issue as I saw it was that the invention of the cotton gin in 1793 set
up the first flux year of cotton in bulk in 1794 out of the United States.
It's an interesting story: the machinery of Whitney was 'liberated' as
well. It was placed in a jail for safekeeping from people stealing it,
i.e., from cotton owning aristocrats, though they helped to break it out of
Whitney's attempt at protecting his exclusive ownership of the invention.
They made their own copies.

I have some statistics on this huge flux of cotton, and change over of
crops in the Southern United States. It is in the first section on
comparing various physical and technological amenabilities of textile
fibers. It's in the last part of the 'vegetable' textiles section on cotton.

The website mentioned above as a whole is devoted to a listserve for the
'empirical interconnections' between the sociological, biological, and
physical sciences. In other words, no one on the list is a scientific
reductionist of any sort. The list has about 60 people. Perhaps you or
others on this list would be interested in joining?

A summary of the (low traffic) list's purposes are located at:

http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~mrkdwhit/intersci-l/files/LIST_ANNOUNCEMENTmarch232001.pdf

There's a section in the paper as well about moving to a raw materal
specific consideration of world systems theory, with differnet raw
materials physical characteristics, technological amenabilities, and
geographic amenabilities, setting up globally different world systems of
consumption. Let me know if you want to read it: 'll cut/paste this section
to you (it's about "the unsubstitutable sheep and textiles in the world
system")

Regards,

Mark Whitaker
University of Wisconsin-Madison