Re: unequal exchange
by g kohler
16 February 2002 13:59 UTC

Dear Mr. Lipke - thanks for your questions on unequal exchange (below,
appended). I am happy to learn that you are writing your master thesis in this
area of research - which brings me to your question #3 - namely, "Is there any
further research on your theory, any new knowledge or critique on it? (I only
know your paper "The Structure of Global
Money and World Tables..." in: Journal of World System Research Fall 1998)"

re your Question #3 -
GK: There has been no explicit critique so far, but some encouraging signs of
interest. (a) Prof. Arno Tausch (Innsbruck and Vienna) has used unequal
exchange, the distortion factor (d or ERDI o 1/ERDI) and the transfer value (T)
in his empirical research (European and global scope) and found them to be of
explanatory value in macrosociological
research (b) Prof. Cem Somel (Ankara) and his students have applied these
concepts in the study of the Turkish economy and found them very useful (the
only country case study along these lines that I know of). (c) Prof. Hartmut
Elsenhans (Leipzig) published an article of mine on unequal exchange in his
"asien africa latein amerika" journal. An
economist who has written a book with a similar perspective (and global scope)
is Yotopoulos (mid-1990s).  I have done some more work on unequal exchange
along my "structure of global money" line - (a) empirical (estimates for 1965,
time series 1965-95), (b) simulation, (c) theoretical (relationship with
surplus value, relationship with world
income, other), see online at:
http://csf.colorado.edu/wsystems/archive/papers/kohlertoc.htm
A further sign of growing awareness of these problems might be the fact that
the most recent edition of  the World Bank's online database on growth and
development  includes such variables as terms of trade in PPP terms and trade
flows separated by trade with OECD versus other.

re your Question 2 -
GK: if I understand you correctly, then I agree with you on this. The T in my
formula is a result of both "distortion" and "volume" of trade. Two extreme
cases - (A) high distortion and no trading volume, result = no transfer value
(Kyrgistan is close to that) - (B) no distortion and high trading volume,
result = no transfer value (EU - USA is
close to that)

re your Question 1 -
GK: this question touches on the relationship between PPP values, commodity
terms of trade, perhaps other terms of trade as well, unequal exchange, and
global exploitation. This is a "can of worms", as it touches on questions of
both measurement and theory. When you think of worsening commodity terms of
trade (for example - how many tons of coffee
must be exported by Costa Rica in order to buy an American- or European- or
Japanese-made truck?), then this trend should be subsumed in a worsening
"distortion factor" (d or ERDI). [However, the exact statistical relationship
is difficult. Yotopoulos has more detail on that.] If, on the other hand, you
think of the theory of unequal exchange and
global exploitation, there are many more questions to be explored and answered.
There should be much more research on these issues, theoretical,
statistical-empirical, and political-economic. As far as I can tell, the
earlier literature on unequal exchange and unequal development has been rather
blind to the fact that the exchange rate system is a
major mechanism of global exploitation. (Neither Emmanuel nor Amin mention that
- probably, because they emphasize production relations over exchange
relations; but this should be added as one facet of global exploitation. One
important effect of unequal exchange rates is the fact that rich countries can
buy up factories, real estate, and labour in
poor countries for "peanuts". Thus, (monetary) exchange relations have a major
impact on global production relations. )

Good luck with your thesis. If you like me to comment on additional points,
feel free to send me an email.

Gernot Köhler