NEWS: Iran hints at striking Gulf oil infrastructure if US attacks; Saudi Arabian Crown Prince threatens to break US ties
by Mark Douglas Whitaker
11 February 2002 11:43 UTC

Story from the www.indymedia.org:8081 newswire

Checkout independent media coverage of politics, protest, and life
at: http://www.indymedia.org:8081

This message was sent to you by: Mark

Comments:

Article by: Hindustan Times
Sunday 10 Feb 2002

Summary:\"If total insecurity were to settle over Iran, preventing its oil
from being exported, then no other oil in the region would be exported,\"

Reference at indymedia website:
http://www.indymedia.org:8081//front.php3?article_id=132876

Article:
Hindustan Times

Iran hints at striking Gulf oil infrastructure if US attacks

AFP
Tehran, Feb 10

A senior official from Iran\'s elite Revolutionary Guards hinted on Sunday
that the country could retaliate for any US military action by targeting
the Gulf\'s oil infrastructure.

\"If total insecurity were to settle over Iran, preventing its oil from
being exported, then no other oil in the region would be exported,\"
Pasdaran second-in-command Mohammad Baghr Zolghadr was quoted as saying by
television.
\"If a war breaks out, then the Persian Gulf will be the graveyard of US
soldiers and their navy. Iran is not Afghanistan, and a war against us
would not last two or three months. The Americans are bawling like
drunkards, but with time, they will understand their mistake,\" he warned.

The US imports large quantities of oil from the Persian Gulf, including
from its chief ally in the region, Saudi Arabia. Iran is the second-biggest
producer in the 11-member Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries.

Relations between Tehran and Washington have hit a new low after US
President George W. Bush named Iran, along with Iraq and North Korea, on
January 29 as part of an \"axis of evil,\" and hinted it could be targeted
in a future phase of its \"war against terrorism.\"

http://www.hindustantimes.com/nonfram/110202/dlame02.asp

AND

Article by: Hindustan Times
Sunday 10 Feb 2002

Summary:\"This is America\'s right but Saudi Arabia will not accept the
decision. Starting from today, You (Americans) go your own way, We go my
way. From now on, we will protect our national interests, regardless of
where America\'s interests lie in the region,\" (August 2001)

Reference at indymedia website:
http://www.indymedia.org:8081//front.php3?article_id=132872

Article:
Hindustan Times

\'Bush speech angered Saudi Prince; threatened to derail ties\'

PTI
Washington, February 10

Angered by President George W Bush\'s remarks, the Saudi Crown Prince had
threatened to sever ties with the US that prompted Washington to change its
approach towards the Palestine-Israel issue, a leading daily said on Sunday.

Crown Prince Abdullah ibn Abdulaziz was irked over statements by the
American leader on August 24 which he interpreted as being biased towards
Israel and critical of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, an investigative
dispatch in The Washington Post said.

Bush had said \"the Israelis will not negotiate under a terrorist
threat...And if the Palestinians are interested in a dialogue, then I
strongly urge Mr (Yasser) Arafat to put 100 per cent effort into stopping
the terrorist activity. And I believe he can do a better job of doing that.\"

The Crown Prince immediately telephoned Saudi Ambassador to the US, Prince
Bandar bin Sultan, and directed him to deliver a message to the White House.

The message, handed over to National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice and
Secretary of State Colin Powell, said, \"We believe there has been a
strategic decision by the US that its national interest in the Middle East
is 100 per cent based on Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon.\"

\"This is America\'s right but Saudi Arabia will not accept the decision.
Starting from today, You (Americans) go your own way, We go my way. From
now on, we will protect our national interests, regardless of where
America\'s interests lie in the region,\" the daily quoted a Saudi official
as saying in its series titled \'Marriage of Convenience--the US Saudi
Alliance.\'

http://www.hindustantimes.com/nonfram/110202/dlfor08.asp