Re: Hamlet
by Threehegemons
08 February 2002 17:27 UTC

The Dutch republic, on its way in the latter half of the sixteenth century to
becoming the most powerful economic center in Europe (albeit involved in an
anti-colonial war), was never a monarchy in any conventional sense.

Also, Venice, not a monarchy, may or may not count as a 'core state' by the end
of the sixteenth century.  I realize you're focused on Hamlet, but I've always
been struck by how many plays Shakespeare set in Italy (Romeo and Juliet,
Merchant of Venice, Two Gentlemen of Verona, etc).

Steven Sherman