Re: Social Science - Is/Ought - Problem of Ought
by Jay Fenello
29 December 2001 16:13 UTC

At 12/29/01  10:45 AM, Luke Rondinaro wrote:

>Perhaps such concepts do.  But it doesn't take away one bit from the point
>of my argument which was to say there are no "quick" fixes in the
>(mechanical)(Newtonian-like) sense of social engineering to social structures.

Very true ...

The type of systemic change I was referring
to is typically associated with edge-bounded
chaotic systems.

>Perhaps a set of organic, evolutionary dynamic principles are operating
>under these "tipping points"/"break points" also? ... What do you think? ...

The principals of evolution are certainly
present, but the changes that occur around
tipping points are often discontinuous.

Jay.

P.S.  You can hear more about these concepts
in my radio interview with Dr. Bill Ellis:
http://www.AligningWithPurpose.com/images/BillEllis.ram
See also:  http://www.gladwell.com/books2.html

>Luke R
>
>   Jay Fenello <Jay@Fenello.com> wrote:
>>At 12/27/01 08:41 PM, Luke Rondinaro wrote:
>> >There are no quick fixes to social problems. Period.
>>
>>Concepts like "tipping points" (aka "break points")
>>suggests that social change can happen very quickly,
>>with a very small change in the status quo.
>>
>>Jay.
>>

>Do You Yahoo!?
>Send your FREE holiday greetings online at
><http://rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/tag/?http://greetings.yahoo.com/>Yahoo!
>Greetings.

+++

Jay Fenello, Internet Coaching