assumptions ?
by George Snedeker
28 December 2001 23:57 UTC

"My point is that the world operates on a basis that is not kind, sweet,
good or even nice.  Every nation looks out for itself.  I cannot say that is
bad
because it has never been any other way.  And I will bet 20 to 1 that it
will remain that way in the future .  It is a natural aspect of the human
psyche." GH

there seems to be a bit of confusion between history and evolutionary
psychology. nations are a product of modernity, what might be called the
capitalist world system. they are a relatively recent social invention. the
human psyche is something quite different. I assume that the human psyche is
subject to change. how much change? well, that is a good question to
contemplate. world systems theory is an historical science. it tries to make
sense of the role of nation-states within the capitalist world economy.

you point out that the United States has not taken any new territories in
the 20th century. this is true, but "we" have gained a bit of wealth in
other ways. territory is not the only form of wealth. it is the way the
Nazis thought of wealth, all those colonies eastward. trade and capital are
more important than mere territory. very powerful nations hold a concept of
national security that goes beyond the boundaries of the nation. no one
denies the United States the right to protect its territory and its people.
the problem is a little more complicated than territory. we have troops in
many other countries, not to mention economic interests that our ruling
class and, I might ad, most of our working classes want to protect. .