Re: [A-List] Re: Frank and Jones -- money and oil
by Sabri Oncu
21 November 2001 21:05 UTC

Well David,

I don't want to sound like an insensitive (ex)natural scientist but,
nevertheless, here is my opinion:

If concepts from natural sciences help us improve our understanding of
social phenomena or our ability to communicate social concepts, I am all for
using them. But if their use adds to the already existing confusion, maybe
it is better to leave them alone. Don't you agree?

Sabri Oncu

-----Original Message-----
From: wsn-owner@csf.colorado.edu [mailto:wsn-owner@csf.colorado.edu]On
Behalf Of David Schwartzman
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 6:32 AM
To: Mark Jones
Cc: a-list@lists.econ.utah.edu; Richard N Hutchinson; Mark Jones;
wsn@csf.colorado.edu; franka@fiu.edu
Subject: Re: [A-List] Re: Frank and Jones -- money and oil

Engels didn't really understand the 2nd law. In any case, this law has been
widely misunderstood, with the familar invocation of physical concepts in
social prognostication (physics gets some respect from social scientists and
the lay public even when it is misinterpreted). Georgescu-Roegen/Jeremy
Rifkin/Sarkar are examples. For an extended discussion read my paper Solar
Communism:
http://www.redandgreen.org
Marxism & Ecology
(you might like to check out the other posted articles, e.g., "A World Party
in Our Future?", written a month before 911).