Re: after the Taliban collapse, then what?
by Louis Proyect
18 November 2001 23:54 UTC

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:38:54 -0700 (MST), Richard N Hutchinson wrote:

>The polarization of the world system and ever-
>increasing inequality, combined with
>technological change and the persistence of
>ideological "in group-out group" hostilities, of
>which religious fundamentalism is but one
>example, is a sure-fire recipe for ongoing
>conflict, and the "U.S.
>calvary" cannot stop it.

This is a very important insight, something that I did not mention in
my post on the Mahdi. What separates the Mahdists of the 1880s from
the Hamas's, etc. of today is the availability of advanced
technology. This is just another example of "combined and uneven
development" that Trotsky observed in Czarist Russia at the turn of
the century. In Russia, advanced European industry was superimposed
on semifeudal social conditions. But today, the social forms are more
backward and the technology is more advanced. Epitomizing this
congruence is Sultan Bashiruddin Mahmood, a nuclear engineer who was
one of three Pakistani scientists arrested in late October because of
their suspected connections with the Taliban. Mahmood is an expert on
nuclear weapons production, but also a fundamentalist Muslim with
unorthodox scientific views. According to an article in the Nov. 5 NY
Times, he  has published papers concerning djinni, which are
described in the Koran as beings made of fire. "He has proposed that
these entities could be tapped to solve the energy crisis, and he has
written on how to understand the mechanics of life after death. "

Meanwhile, the West is in many ways a confirmation of the laws of
combined and uneven development, except that American and British
society seem to be going backwards in time to dredge up precapitalist
superstitions to justify their imperialist aims. A Nov. 4th
Washington Post article reveals that the Attorney General believes in
Satan:

>>Then came a question at the heart of Ashcroft's nature: Had the
terrorist attacks shaken his faith?

"My belief has not been shaken," Ashcroft answered. He had always
"invoked the protection and blessing of God" and would continue to do
so.

Then this son and grandson of Pentecostal preachers made clear who he
thinks will win the struggle. "I believe that America has reopened
the window on its own soul, and what it sees is a strong nation," he
said. "I'm sorry about this tragedy, but we're going to get through
it."

"John believes in the existence of evil, of Satan," says one
intimate. "He will work to the point of exhaustion to defeat evil."
<<

So, the question is who we should be more afraid of. Bin-Laden who
only dreams of possessing nuclear weapons, or the United States,
which not only has used these weapons to secure political goals, but
which is now being run by men who believe in the devil.

--
Louis Proyect, lnp3@panix.com on 11/18/2001

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org