Re: Taliban hatred for women?
by Shahijm2
11 November 2001 05:36 UTC

It has been a while since I've read anything about it myself, but it seemed
like her main thesis was that it was primarily a holocaust against women,
rather than a religious issue.  The majority of trials took place in secular
courts.  It did seem to be a means for the authorities to get their hands on
women's property.  I remember that she compares it to the practice of burning
women that has existed in various forms in different cultures.  I read
another book discussing the connection between the practice of sati and
inheritance laws concerning women in India -- in other words, sati was much
more prevalent in districts in India where women were potential claimants to
inherited property.

Jane Shahi