Re: Islamic Militancy: It is their problem
by Threehegemons
31 October 2001 03:05 UTC

In a message dated 10/30/01 6:02:20 PM Pacific Standard Time, KSamman@aol.com
writes:

<< Yes, we need to consider the way "local dynamics" become relevant,
especially the way they are appropriated historically.  But what part of
history are you talking about?  I don't think Sherman means that what
happened in seventh century Arabia is by definition the "local dynamics" of
Sept. 11th 2001?  No, I think that what he means is that when a Palestinian's
home is being destroyed by Israeli US made helicopters and four of his
children are walking around with no limbs, the fact that he carries a green
flag with citations of the Quran is related to local dynamics of that
struggle for existence.  I'm not being sarcastic.  I know Steve's politics,
and he is exceptionally pro-Palestinian.  But he, like the rest of us, need
to be careful to use historical arguments in context of history.  Hussain's
remarks (first posting) that
 Sherman is calling useful was conflating religious revival movements of
centuries past to claim that Islam has always had a militant streak.  Thus,
history has been told.  No, that is not history I am afraid, but a Bernard
Lewis like argument: "Islam has always been militant, and the west has
nothing to do with the chaos of the region".  Hence, just like slavery, the
Bill Gates of the world has once again washed their hands clean.  But unlike
Slavery, many of us miss the ideological ramifications of our claims. >>

Let me answer by way of analogy.  If we were discussing the Shining Path, I
don't think it would do too much good to simply declare that Marxism is a
nicey-nice intellectual tradition, interesting commentary on modernity and
globalization, read Marshall Berman, Herbert Marcuse and Michael Hardt, and
we just can't fathom why anyone who calls themselves Marxist would murder
left wing organizers and have summary executions of adulterers.  No, Marxism
is (in the dominant version) a political philosophy that encourages its
adherents to see the world in terms of class warfare, and for the most part,
the 'marxist' perspective in this century emphasizes the utility of armed
struggle as opposed to 'reformist' advocacy of electoral tactics.  Certainly
Sendero was not timelessly repeating Leninist tactics.  Many (probably most)
Leninist types hated them.  They weren't even (as they seemed to believe)
just reusing Maoist strategy.  They twisted it through their own worldview,
but they were clearly using some aspects of the Marxist and Maoist
traditions.  I don't say that as a Marxist, but I also don't say that as
someone who hates Marxism.  I think it has plenty to offer, and is for the
most part highly misrepresented in mainstream accounts.  But I don't think
one excises out the parts one doesn't like, or arbitrarily declares that they
have nothing to do with anything.

Just knowing that conditions really sucked in the Peruvian highlands or the
slums of Lima isn't enough to explain how they were thinking, nor is knowing
something about Marxism.  One has to look at the relationship between this
intellectual tradition and this particular situation.  This analogy isn't
perfect.  The Shining Path went out and 'converted' followers to Marxism--to
a certain extent, in the local situation, they could claim that Marxism was
whatever they said it was.  Bin Laden and the Taliban appeal to a
pre-existing Islamic community--what they say Islam is is thus more
constrained by already existing beliefs.

However disagreeable one may find it, the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden claim
to be acting in the name of Islam, and their claim has relevance.  Were they
claiming to be Marxists, there probably would not have been demonstrations
from France to Nigeria to Indonesia in the last few weeks opposing the US
war.  Or those demonstrations would have involved hundreds, rather than tens
or hundreds of thousands.

What happened one thousand years ago has everything to do with what is
happening today.  In the modern world, people are supposed to focus their
energies on their own nation states, or on the global betterment of humanity
through science.  They aren't supposed to experience solidarity with a
billion person community spread across numerous states.  Muslims are in
France because of a colonial history that goes back only a couple of
centuries--but they are in many places because of expansions that pre-date
the modern world system.  Incidentally, the solidarity of the Muslim
community globally taxes any economic determinist explanation of the
contemporary world, since it overlaps a number of economic/political regions.
 We shall see which of these solidarities proves stronger in the next hundred
years, but at this point it seems like an open question.  I don't know nearly
enough about the history of Islamic intellectual traditions to determine
which are relevant to understanding Bin Ladenism.  But I see no reason to
rule them out beforehand.

If a guy is commerating his children's victimization or protesting the
Israelis through using the Quran, it means that he has found something of
relevance in intellectual/religious tradition(s) that stretches back over a
thousand years.  I have no reason to believe he is reinventing it wholecloth
just because he is living in the modern world system.  I don't know what
elements of that tradition he is selecting for his own purposes without
talking to him.  But I do not apriori believe that the Israeli situation is
more important than the Islamic tradition he is invoking.  The latter is not
'really' about the former. I don't think there is some sort of 'real' Islam
that he is either practicing or betraying.  Islam is what Muslims in the
present make of it.

It seems that in trying to avoid the arguments of Orientalists, you are
trying to avoid giving Islam any substance in this moment.   It seems a
particularly strange argument in light of your own work, which helps
elucidate some of the very long term continuities of the history in question.
Instead of being defensive, why not develop historical explanations that
allow for the plurality of Islams, but do not reduce it to an epiphenomenon
of 'real' contemporary conditions.

Steven Sherman