Re: Islamic Militancy: It is their problem
by KSamman
31 October 2001 01:32 UTC

Greetings,

Since this debate is turning out to be extremely useful for me to think through
some issues related to world systems, I'd like to spend a little more time on
it and respond to the useful responses made by Hussain, Stremlin, Sherman and
Boles.

First, Hussain (and Stremlin):
<<I don't know what to tell your Wal Mart employee as to why he makes a minimum
wage>>
The point I was trying to make with introducing the Wal Mart employee is to
simply remind us that while many of us have no problem in seeing the limits of
an Oscar Lewis type of explaination with the plight of this one working class
example, we get ourselves confused when we turn our attention to explaining
such other issues like the rise of Islamic militancy.  All too often I am
confronted, no barraged, daily with extremely orientalist like explanations
when Islam is at issue, and not just with the Huntingtonites (Clash of
Civilization) of the world but by self proclaimed progressives as well. I mean,
just imagine if I made the argument that the Wal Mart minimum wage worker is
where he is at in life because his cultural universe is tainted with a
dysfunctional like quality that is holding him back.  We would all know
immediately where this position stands in relation to the Bill Gates of the
world.  Yet when it comes to the Islamic world it is not uncommon to hear from
those same people that the Islamic world contains deep within its soul an
essential propensity to pull out its sword and massacre innocent civilians in
the name of Jihad.  Look at, for example, Benjamin Barber's otherwise useful
study, Jihad vs. McWorld.  He does an excellent job demonstrating the mutual
dependence of global corporate capitalism with that of cummunalist and
fundamentalist movements in many parts of the world.  But when he comes to
Islam all of a sudden he changes the tone of the argument to one where he
returns to a classic orientalist line: the Islamic world is different than
Europe in so far that it fails to separate the two spheres of religion and
politics.  What's his proof?: The Quran.  Hence, there is no need to look at
the past century where in fact the state of Islam (its political body) was so
dismembered that an individual living in 1850 would not be able to recognize
the same Islamic real estate some 70 years later, no matter how much he read
the Quran and no matter how much he prayed to Allah and no matter how much h
e repeated the call to Holy War then or now.  Abraham, Moses, Mohammad,
Ishmael, Isaac may all still dance in his imagined head at night, but the fact
that US warships, Israeli helicopters, Bay Watch, Arnold Schwartznager, Colin
Powell, and McDonalds are located a stone throw away from his most sacred
religious site in Mecca, that dance is going to be to a very different tune.
Hence, the expression may feel and look like it was taught to him/her by
reading scriptures in the madrassa, but in actuality it is a product of
confronting a world in which your livelihood is at the hands of a superpower,
and by that I don't mean Allah but the good old US of A.
Now for Sherman's response:
<<implied in Samman's analyses is that when "the modern world system arrives",
previous local dynamics become irrelevant>>
As you can see with Wal Mart, I always make my arguments with analogies.  This
time I'm going to use slavery.  Some of you may know much of these debate, but
one of those has led to a cluster of political claims.  Many of us know that
slavery was transformed radically in the sixteenth century when it became
linked to race and brought in to the new plantation system.  Yet conservatives
of course don't see it that way.  They see it from "time-immemorial", and by
that they mean "stop blaming Europe for Slavery.  The Arabs, even the Africans
themselves practiced slavery centuries before the Europeans."  Hence, in making
this a-historical claim they think they can wash Europe's hands clean from
their role in instituting a modern form of labor control.  In this instance we
know what these people are up to and can respond with little hesitation and
argue that in fact their historical arguments are but anything historical. Yet,
again, when it comes to Islam all is lost.  Both Sherman and Hussain are,
admittadely, better social scientists than Bernard Lewis, and there hearts are
in the right place.  But their arguments, while more convincing, would be
something appreciated by people they despise.  Yes, we need to consider the way
"local dynamics" become relevant, especially the way they are appropriated
historically.  But what part of history are you talking about?  I don't think
Sherman means that what happened in seventh century Arabia is by definition the
"local dynamics" of Sept. 11th 2001?  No, I think that what he means is that
when a Palestinian's home is being destroyed by Israeli US made helicopters and
four of his children are walking around with no limbs, the fact that he carries
a green flag with citations of the Quran is related to local dynamics of that
struggle for existence.  I'm not being sarcastic.  I know Steve's politics, and
he is exceptionally pro-Palestinian.  But he, like the rest of us, need to be
careful to use historical arguments in context of history.  Hussain's remarks
(first posting) that
Sherman is calling useful was conflating religious revival movements of
centuries past to claim that Islam has always had a militant streak.  Thus,
history has been told.  No, that is not history I am afraid, but a Bernard
Lewis like argument: "Islam has always been militant, and the west has nothing
to do with the chaos of the region".  Hence, just like slavery, the Bill Gates
of the world has once again washed their hands clean.  But unlike Slavery, many
of us miss the ideological ramifications of our claims.

(Boles, I'm sorry I didn't respond to you but I'm tired).

Khaldoun Samman