Re: inquiry
by KSamman
29 October 2001 00:33 UTC

<Does not Islam or Christian or other Christian concepts of heaven plays the
same role, especially for women.>

Yes, you could probably make that argument if you are interested in a textual
reading of scriptures as opposed to a historical/contextual one.  The letters
of Paul in the New Testament are no more liberating to women than any surra of
the Quran. I recommend that we use the latter, historical/contextual reading.
The way I try to analyze "Islam" as practiced today is to view it in a
perspective that enlarges our categories of time and space.  The fact that most
of what would traditionally pass as "Islamic civilization" has been radically
transformed into a peripheral region of the modern world system has made this
one religion by definition "anti-modern".  No matter where you look, what was
once part of the core of the "ancient world system(s)" has been swallowed up
whole in the nineteenth century, reducing the Mughal, Ottoman... to become
subordinate to European and American power.  This effects not only the
political economy of the "Islamic world", but all aspects of life, including
gender, identity, language...  Otherwise, if you see all the issues surrounding
the Islamic world as stemming from a religious system you will fall into an
orientalist explanation, for what is "within" the system may be partially the
result of relations of power that stretch far beyond the so-called culture or
religion you are scrutiniz
ing.

If you are interested in "Islam" and gender, check out the excellent book by
Leila Ahmed: "Women and Gender in Islam: Historical Roots of a Modern Debate,"
Yale (1993).  Amazon has parts of the book on-line.

Hope this helps, Khaldoun Samman