Re: this is about oil. It's always about oil
by Mark Jones
14 October 2001 18:11 UTC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elson Boles":

> >  Jones is
> probably on track when he suggests that Rall's figures are inflated
(though
> he has provided no better evidence than Rall, both being based on various
> geologists' estimates).

Nonsense. I gave you the pointers. There is a world of evidence out there.
As for 'geologists' estimates', don't be derogatory of the profession
thanks to whom every non-organic item in your living room is there and not
hidden underground.

> However, these responses seems to miss the point, which is that US
> "troubles" (not to mention the troubles for the average person) within or
> originating in the Middle East are fundamentally about oil and playing
> regimes off one another as the slow burn, controlled chaos circumstances
> dictate.
>So, I see in Rall's contribution a legitimate point

'Fundamentally about oil' doesn't mean anything. It is fundamentally about
capitalism and the contradictions of the accumulation process. Rall's point
is just tarted-up conspiracy-theory; and this crisis is not a result of a
Bush conspiracy.

Mark