Re: this is about oil. It's always about oil
by Threehegemons
14 October 2001 18:36 UTC

In a message dated 10/14/01 9:42:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time, boles@svsu.edu
writes:

<< Again: why is it coming out of the Middle East?

I would have to say that its because Islam provides a unifying ideology, one
which can be transformed in a millinerian direction into an us vs. the
infidels thing and is not policed by a centralized 'pope'.

True, the fact that the US has rarely intervened in parts of the world  where
it does not have any oil to worry about (such as Chile, the Dominican
Republic, the Korean Peninsula, Nicaragua, Congo, Vietnam, Kosovo, Haiti)
weakens my case, but even so, I'm going to stick to that argument.

Steven Sherman
Steven Sherman