Re: Let Us Not Inherit This Ill Wind
by kjkhoo
11 October 2001 17:49 UTC

Again, from where I am, this stuff pales into insignificance in the
face of the op-ed stuff in the Wall Street Journal, including the
following from Paul Johnson. After reading something like a dozen
pieces or more in the same vein, I'm feeling truly terrorised -- by
The West.

October 9, 2001

Commentary

The Answer to Terrorism? Colonialism.

By Paul Johnson. Mr. Johnson is the author of many books, including
"Modern Times" and "The Birth of the Modern."

America has no alternative but to wage war against states that
habitually aid terrorists. President Bush warns the war may be long
but he has not, perhaps, yet grasped that America may have to accept
long-term political obligations too. For the nearest historical
parallel -- the war against piracy in the 19th century -- was an
important element in the expansion of colonialism. It could be that a
new form of colony, the Western-administered former terrorist state,
is only just over the horizon.

Significantly, it was the young United States that initiated this
first campaign against international outlaws (most civilized states
accepted the old Roman law definition of pirates as "enemies of the
human race"). By the end of the 18th century, the rulers of Algiers,
Tunis and Tripoli had become notorious for harboring pirates and
themselves engaging in piracy and the slave-trade in whites (chiefly
captured seamen). European states found it convenient to ransom these
unfortunates rather than go to war. Admiral Nelson, commanding the
British Mediterranean Fleet, was forbidden to carry out reprisals.
"My blood boils," he wrote, "that I cannot chastise these pirates."

By contrast, the U.S. was determined to do so. Pirates were the main
reason Congress established a navy in 1794. In 1805, American marines
marched across the desert from Egypt, forcing the pasha of Tripoli to
sue for peace and surrender all American captives -- an exploit
recalled by the U.S. Marine Corps anthem: "From the Halls of
Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli."

It was reinforced in 1815 when Commodores Stephen Decatur and William
Bainbridge conducted successful operations against all three of the
Barbary States, as they were called. This shamed the British into
taking action themselves, and the following year Admiral Lord Exmouth
subjected Algiers to what was then the fiercest naval bombardment in
history -- 38,667 rounds of cannon balls, 960 large-caliber shells
and hundreds of rockets. However, these victories were ephemeral. The
beys repudiated the treaties they were obliged to sign as soon as
American and British ships were over the horizon.

It was the French who took the logical step, in 1830, not only of
storming Algiers but of conquering the entire country. France
eventually turned Algeria into part of metropolitan France and
settled one million colonists there. It solved the Tunis piracy
problem by turning Tunisia into a protectorate, a model it later
followed in Morocco. Spain, too, digested bits of the Barbary Coast,
followed by Italy, which overthrew the pasha of Tripoli and created
Libya. Tangiers, another nuisance, was ruled by a four-power European
commission.

The eventual decolonization of North Africa was a messy and bloody
business. In Algeria in particular, which the French had ruled for
over 120 years, they withdrew only after a horrific war that produced
over a million casualties and overthrew the Fourth Republic. The
Italian record in Libya was so bad that its memory was a key factor
in Col. Moammar Gadhafi's seizure of power and the resumption of
outlaw activities.

In the 19th century, as today, civilized states tried to put down
piracy by organizing coalitions of local rulers who suffered from it
too. Arabia and the Persian Gulf were a patchwork of small states,
some of which were controlled by criminal tribes that pursued
caravan-robbing on land and piracy at sea. Pirate sheikhs were
protected by the Wahabis, forebears of the present ruler of Saudi
Arabia. In 1815 Britain had to take action because ships of its East
India Company were being attacked in international waters. But it did
so only in conjunction with two powerful allies, the ruler of Muscat
and Oman, still Britain's firm friend, and Mohamed Ali of Egypt.

British naval operations produced a general treaty against piracy
signed by all the rulers, great and small, of the Arabian Coast and
Persian Gulf. But Britain had learned from experience that "covenants
without swords" were useless, and that the sheikhs would only stick
to their treaty obligations if "enforcement bases" were set up. Hence
Britain found itself becoming a major power in the Middle East, with
a colony and base in Aden, other bases up and down the Gulf, and a
network of treaties and protectorates with local rulers, whose heirs
were educated at the British school of princes in India.

The situation in South-East Asia and the Far East was not essentially
different. Amid the countless islands of these vast territories were
entire communities of orang laut (sea nomads) who lived by piracy.
Local rulers were too weak to extirpate them. Only the Royal Navy was
strong enough. But that meant creating modern bases -- hence the
founding of Singapore. That in turn led to colonies, not only
Singapore but Malaya, Sarawak and Borneo. The Dutch had been doing
the same. It was a matter of complaint by the British that the
Americans, while trading hugely in the area, rarely sent warships on
anti-piracy missions -- President Andrew Jackson's dispatch of the
frigate Potomac to bombard the pirate lair of Kuala Batu in 1832 was
a welcome exception.

In this area then the war against piracy was directly linked to
colonization -- British, French, Dutch, Portuguese and Spanish -- a
fact finally recognized by the U.S. when it annexed the Philippines
after the Spanish-American War. The U.S. established a large naval
base there, one of whose duties was pirate-hunting. The lesson
learned was that suppression of well-organized criminal communities,
networks and states was impossible without political control.

The great civilized powers, as now, preferred to act in concert. But
this was easier said than done. In China, a vast but incoherent
country, the Western trading powers had introduced the principle of
extraterritoriality, whereby certain harbors were designated treaty
ports and run by Western consuls and officials under European law.

In 1900, a militant Chinese terrorist group known as the Boxers
seized control of Peking, with the covert approval of the Chinese
government. Western embassies were sacked and the German ambassador
murdered. An international force was organized to retake Peking, and
it included Americans and Japanese as well as European troops. In
view of the German loss, Britain agreed that the commander could be
nominated by Kaiser Wilhelm II, but was taken aback when that
intemperate monarch instructed his field marshal:

"No pardon will be given and no prisoners taken. Anyone who falls
into your hands falls to your sword! Just as the Huns created for
themselves a thousand years ago a name which men still respect, you
should give the name of German such cause to be remembered in China
for one thousand years that no Chinaman, no matter if his eyes be
slit or not, will dare to look a German in the face."

America and her allies may find themselves, temporarily at least, not
just occupying with troops but administering obdurate terrorist
states. These may eventually include not only Afghanistan but Iraq,
Sudan, Libya, Iran and Syria. Democratic regimes willing to abide by
international law will be implanted where possible, but a Western
political presence seems unavoidable in some cases.

I suspect the best medium-term solution will be to revive the old
League of Nations mandate system, which served well as a
"respectable" form of colonialism between the wars. Syria and Iraq
were once highly successful mandates. Sudan, Libya and Iran have
likewise been placed under special regimes by international treaty.

Countries that cannot live at peace with their neighbors and wage
covert war against the international community cannot expect total
independence. With all the permanent members of the Security Council
now backing, in varying degrees, the American-led initiative, it
should not be difficult to devise a new form of United Nations
mandate that places terrorist states under responsible supervision.

URL for this Article:
http://interactive.wsj.com/archive/retrieve.cgi?id=SB1002585224185071200.djm

Copyright © 2001 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.