your views on HM requested
by Sebastian Budgen
07 October 2001 22:55 UTC

Dear Friends,

We are writing to you because, as you may already know, Historical
Materialism will be relaunched next year in a new quarterly format published
by E.J. Brill in Leiden, The Netherlands. As Brill will be taking over all
production, publicity and subscription functions, and assuring that the
journal appears regularly and professionally, this will afford us as an
Editorial Board considerably more leeway to concentrate on editorial issues.
Moreover, the new quarterly format (of about 200pp per issue) will also
allow us to experiment more in terms of form and content.

We are very pleased with this new arrangement, which we have been working
towards for some time now, and we want to thank you for all the support you
have given the journal so far, help which has been invaluable in enabling us
to get to this more stable and long-term position. We hope that you will
continue your association with HM in its new guise for many years to come.

We are taking this opportunity, then, to address you as friends of the
journal at this turning point to ask you for your own opinions about the it.
We realise that you are probably very busy with your own work, but we would
be incredibly grateful if you could take the time to send us a few thoughts.
We are particularly interested in any views you may have about the journal
so far (i.e. the 7 existing issues)  ­ being ruthless in your criticisms and
forthright in your praise, should you have any ­, and, even more
importantly, how you would like to see it evolve in the future. Are there,
then, any theoretical and political questions that you feel we should
address in the future? Are there particular authors or schools you strongly
feel should be writing for us? Are there significant books that we have
hitherto neglected? What mistakes have we made and what have we got right?

We have had some discussions of these questions at EB level, of course, and,
should you feel that it would stimulate you, we could indicate the kind of
areas we have so far identified as worth investigating.

Anyway, hoping to hear from you soon,

Cordially,

--
Sebastian Budgen
sebastian@amadeobordiga.u-net.com

The Editors
Historical Materialism
London School of Economics
Houghton Street
London WC1V 1AH
hm@lse.ac.uk

P.S. IF YOU HAVE BEEN SENT THIS EMAIL IN ERROR, OR YOU WISH TO BE REMOVED
FROM THE LIST, PLEASE ACCEPT OUR APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE AND TELL US SO. WE
WILL REMOVE YOU IMMEDIATELY.