dangerous books?
by George Snedeker
06 October 2001 19:17 UTC

it is interesting to note that the sales of books like BLOWBACK by Chalmers
Johnson, ROAG STATE by William Blum and THE CLASH OF CIVILIZATIONS by Samuel
Huntington are all selling like hot cakes.progressives are reading the first
two titles and liberals and conservatives  are reading the third.

THE CLASH OF CIVILIZATIONS is a dangerous book because it plays upon all of
our fears of the Other. he argues that we in the West had better unite
against the "barbarians at the door." in his introduction he makes a
positive reference to the work of Edward W. Said, but then goes on to offer
the most Orientalist analysis ever made. THE CLASH OF CIVILIZATIONS plays
upon our most xenophobic fears of the Other. this is very dangerous at a
time when most people are feeling unsafe for the first time. for a good
critique of Huntington see John Michael's ANXIOUS INTELLECTS, Duke
University press.