A better summary
by SOncu
28 September 2001 20:20 UTC

Someone sent what is below to the Progressive Economists Network. The
original is at the below address:

http://www.theonion.com/onion3734/god_clarifies_dont_kill.html

Unfortunately, there is no class analysis in this but hey!

Best,
Sabri Oncu

+++++++++

GOD ANGRILY CLARIFIES THE "DON'T KILL" RULE
The Onion,  September 26,  2001

NEW YORK—Responding to recent events on Earth, God, the omniscient
creator-deity worshipped by billions of followers of various faiths for more
than 6,000 years, angrily clarified His longtime stance against humans
killing each other Monday.

"Look, I don't know, maybe I haven't made myself completely clear, so for the
record, here it is again," said the Lord, His divine face betraying visible
emotion during a press conference near the site of the fallen Twin Towers.
"Somehow, people keep coming up with the idea that I want them to kill their
neighbor. Well, I don't. And to be honest, I'm really getting sick and tired
of it. Get it straight. Not only do I not want anybody to kill anyone, but I
specifically commanded you not to, in really simple terms that anybody ought
to be able to understand."

Worshipped by Christians, Jews, and Muslims alike, God said His name has been
invoked countless times over the centuries as a reason to kill in what He
called "an unending cycle of violence."

"I don't care how holy somebody claims to be," God said. "If a person tells
you it's My will that they kill someone, they're wrong. Got it? I don't care
what religion you are, or who you think your enemy is, here it is one more
time: No killing, in My name or anyone else's, ever again."

The press conference came as a surprise to humankind, as God rarely
intervenes in earthly affairs. As a matter of longstanding policy, He has
traditionally left the task of interpreting His message and divine will to
clerics, rabbis, priests, imams, and Biblical scholars. Theologians and
laymen alike have been given the task of pondering His ineffable mysteries,
deciding for themselves what to do as a matter of faith. His decision to
manifest on the material plane was motivated by the deep sense of shock,
outrage, and sorrow He felt over the Sept. 11 violence carried out in His
name, and over its dire potential ramifications around the globe.

"I tried to put it in the simplest possible terms for you people, so you'd
get it straight, because I thought it was pretty important," said God, called
Yahweh and Allah respectively in the Judaic and Muslim traditions. "I guess I
figured I'd left no real room for confusion after putting it in a four-word
sentence with one-syllable words, on the tablets I gave to Moses. How much
more clear can I get?"

"But somehow, it all gets twisted around and, next thing you know, somebody's
spouting off some nonsense about, 'God says I have to kill this guy, God
wants me to kill that guy, it's God's will,'" God continued. "It's not God's
will, all right? News flash: 'God's will' equals 'Don't murder people.'"

Worse yet, many of the worst violators claim that their actions are justified
by passages in the Bible, Torah, and Qur'an.

"To be honest, there's some contradictory stuff in there, okay?" God said.
"So I can see how it could be pretty misleading. I admit it—My bad. I did My
best to inspire them, but a lot of imperfect human agents have misinterpreted
My message over the millennia. Frankly, much of the material that got in
there is dogmatic, doctrinal bullshit. I turn My head for a second and,
suddenly, all this stuff about homosexuality gets into Leviticus, and
everybody thinks it's God's will to kill gays. It absolutely drives Me up the
wall."

God praised the overwhelming majority of His Muslim followers as "wonderful,
pious people," calling the perpetrators of the Sept. 11 attacks rare
exceptions.

"This whole medieval concept of the jihad, or holy war, had all but vanished
from the Muslim world in, like, the 10th century, and with good reason," God
said. "There's no such thing as a holy war, only unholy ones. The vast
majority of Muslims in this world reject the murderous actions of these
radical extremists, just like the vast majority of Christians in America are
pissed off over those two bigots on The 700 Club."

Continued God, "Read the book: 'Allah is kind, Allah is beautiful, Allah is
merciful.' It goes on and on that way, page after page. But, no, some
assholes have to come along and revive this stupid holy-war crap just to
further their own hateful agenda. So now, everybody thinks Muslims are all
murderous barbarians. Thanks, Taliban: 1,000 years of pan-Islamic cultural
progress down the drain."

God stressed that His remarks were not directed exclusively at Islamic
extremists, but rather at anyone whose ideological zealotry overrides his or
her ability to comprehend the core message of all world religions.

"I don't care what faith you are, everybody's been making this same mistake
since the dawn of time," God said. "The Muslims massacre the Hindus, the
Hindus massacre the Muslims. The Buddhists, everybody massacres the
Buddhists. The Jews, don't even get me started on the hardline, right-wing,
Meir Kahane-loving Israeli nationalists, man. And the Christians? You people
believe in a Messiah who says, 'Turn the other cheek,' but you've been
killing everybody you can get your hands on since the Crusades."

Growing increasingly wrathful, God continued: "Can't you people see? What are
you, morons? There are a ton of different religious traditions out there, and
different cultures worship Me in different ways. But the basic message is
always the same: Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Shintoism... every
religious belief system under the sun, they all say you're supposed to love
your neighbors, folks! It's not that hard a concept to grasp."

"Why would you think I'd want anything else? Humans don't need religion or
God as an excuse to kill each other—you've been doing that without any help
from Me since you were freaking apes!" God said. "The whole point of
believing in God is to have a higher standard of behavior. How obvious can
you get?"

"I'm talking to all of you, here!" continued God, His voice rising to a
shout. "Do you hear Me? I don't want you to kill anybody. I'm against it,
across the board. How many times do I have to say it? Don't kill each other
anymore—ever! I'm fucking serious!"

Upon completing His outburst, God fell silent, standing quietly at the podium
for several moments. Then, witnesses reported, God's shoulders began to
shake, and He wept.