tonight (Sunday, 9/23) on PBS...
by Threehegemons
23 September 2001 19:36 UTC

I realize this isn't exactly world systems theory, but I think it might be of
interest...

Steven Sherman

People like Us: Social Class in America
120 min.
From threadbare Oriental carpets and lawn ornaments to balsamic vinegar and,
oh yes, money, “there are all kinds of measures of social class in
America,”
notes society columnist R. Couri Hay. Filmmakers Louis Alvarez and Andrew
Kolker, whose wry 1997 survey of public life, Vote for Me: Politics in
America, won Emmy, DuPont and Peabody Awards, explore how class can color
everything from food to high school. They also visit people who are
representative of various classes and events celebrating them, like the
Baltimore festival honoring waitresses who call everyone "hon." The
filmmakers also interview various social observers, including author Joe
Queenan and columnist Stanley Crouch.