info request
by Richard N Hutchinson
16 September 2001 19:00 UTC

I am looking for 2 things, one concrete and one abstract:

1) specifics of the US/(international?) economic embargo against
Afghanistan -- when did it begin?  what are the effects?

2) what explains the recent expressions of patriotism in the US?
is it a universal "tribal" instinct to rally around your group when
threatened?  is it just the result of propaganda?  is it stronger among
lower class individuals, an ersatz identity for the powerless?  or is it
stronger among higher class individuals who have a clearer sense of
self-interest?

Quite honestly, I find it quite mystifying and frightening.  I would
appreciate any thoughtful, empirical research that sheds light on it.

RH