INCREASE IN DEFENSE BUDGET
by baris Y.
13 September 2001 11:06 UTC

After the last night, Bush government announced that they will increase defense budget.

What they will do with this money is still uncertain for me, as I said before; missiles could not be used for `terrorism` inside USA. I think the probability of getting angrier without any sense and aggressiveness of USA is coming true.

The most chaotic period in the transformation of capitalism into another world system formally started. I think following months will be very quick and dense for issues. Starting from now, we can see the first steps of our next system: it will probably be an empire - no more democratic structures, human rights and rule. A certain power, which belongs to not only one country-USA but to supranational cooperation under the coverage of several international organizations.

But i am not so hopeless that fluctuations of a turning point in the system can give very large responses to comparatively small inputs. I mean that movements and groups have a great potential at this point. `Terrorism` or not, as they did two days ago.

(Please be careful about that i am not supporting this movement, but as one from Middle East I feel very different from you who read this words from USA or any other central region.)

I want to ask you that how much support can pick up Fascist propaganda of USA or any other central state government? It is important because I think it is not easy to use old methods of nation-state to make stronger the structure of the nation like `we have devilish enemies outside`.  At least we know the protests against globalization and also Islamic movements. Moreover 68 experience could be remembered.

If you agree with this opinion, could you add something as from USA?

PS: Sorry for spelling errors of yesterday but it was a very quick send. See the checked version below:

A TURNING POINT?

Last night was a definite turning point in the World System history. Bombs were calling for the end of the American hegemony.

Who did it and how? It was probably made by an anarchist group inside the USA, maybe the ones who have been inspired from the movie Fight Club. Or as the officials started to point out, the ex-oriented Islamic movements did it. Indeed it does not make too much difference.

The USA lost its hegemony on the world scene. But it seems that the internal politics of the USA are also important and very effective on global policies of the USA and other powers. American citizens lost their confidence to their government. Moreover, it is a republican government that came to power with funds given to military and new army projects like the national missile defense system. They played an old card after the elections: they tried to find or create an enemy state, like North Korea, Iraq, and China. But all was useless. Because, new `terrorism` is not linked directly with governments or states as it is seen in Seattle or Genoa.

Now, the USA has an undefined and formless enemy. It attacks from the inside and it is almost impossible to use missiles in city borders.

What can be done to alter this `terrorist` activism? Fascism is the clearest way to get rid of this kind of a problem. But how, and to whom?

First of all, in the USA, public support to fascist policies seems very hard to obtain. Because bombing two planes with passengers aboard caused the government to lose public confidence. The government could not keep the safety of its citizens. Also, it was unveiled that defense policies of the USA were just imaginary and serving for the continuity of the hegemony by macho-militarist ways. Moreover, this is a failure of the republican government; if the democrats would be in power at this time, everything would be easier to guess: a great collapse of the democrats by the republicans and a very large tendency and support to rightist and fascist policies. But now, everything seems different.

What is clear is that the USA will shift into a very aggressive mode and start bombing on `terrorist` states as it already did to Kabil. But the rest of the world would not be a mere spectator, since the hegemony is flying away. They might resist on the USA and develop such policies. But such a behavior might cause a 3rd World War with a “crazy” USA.

On the other hand, a superpower cooperation between the USA and western Europe might be agreeable in the future of the world system: A militarized - centralized - emperorship without any democratic component which would not hesitate to attack to anyone from rest of the world. This probability may come true and it is not hard to say that a civil war will follow it.

To sum up, whatever USA will do, it will be in spite of people of USA. So, how much it can do rises as a question.