My opinion about the present situation in the world.
by Evgeni Nikolaev
13 September 2001 08:06 UTC

Dear friends.

I am a student of international economics in Kiev, Ukraine. Here (as, I
suppose,
in all other parts of the civilized world) everyone is shocked by the
present
events in the USA. It is a tragedy of unprecedented proportions.

What everyone is asking is how the situation is going to develop:
- It will depend mainly on the reaction of the United States, - many say.
- And the USA will not react correctly.
- Well, maybe you are right. They will behave wrongly, as they always did.

I trust that the problem with the United States is that they are going to
adequately punish both those involved in organising this act of terrorism
and those who support these terrorists (when they find out who they are).
This is dangerous because by those who provide support for the terroristic
groups in question can be meant nearly the whole world except the USA
themselves.

Joking apart, I believe that in this case "punishing" will not do because
it will breed more (and more severe) acts of violence from the Islamic
world. The USA, on the other hand, must at last understand that it is no
longer possible for them to hold political hegemony in this globalised
world, to decide on behalf of other nations what is good for them, and
what is not. Monopolar world (as it is at present - with the USA executing
the role of the global leader) is an extremely unstable structure.

What in my opinion must be done by the USA instead is to allow all the
countries to choose for themselves; to lift the economic embargoes from
such countries as Iraq and Libya. The peoples in these countries act in
an uncivilised manner because they have no other effective means of
drawing the attention of the world society to their problems. Some years
ago I was studying at an English school in Greece. There were many Arabic
pupils from Egypt, Iraq, Kuwait, Syria there. They are all excellent people.
They do want respect to their nations, freedom, their own territory.
Provided with these, they will not breed hatred within themselves towards
the other part of the world, from which they currently fell themselves
excluded by force.

It is my opinion that we must urgently build up relations with all these
countries on a civilized footing and not on paper; develop economic and
cultural ties with them; stop oppressions; shift our mental misconceptions
about these peoples; consider them our equals and not inferior to us. People
must now understand that we are all one big civilization called Humanity,
and
that violence only breeds violence, which at this point in history will lead
us literally to nowhere. And if the United States of America wish to hold
the role of the global leader of the civilized world on a sound and
civilized
footing, it is they who MUST make the first step in this direction. I deem
that the other countries will follow.

- Evgeni Nikolaev
  Kiev National University of Economics