Re: what do we do?
by Aw8urf8
12 September 2001 21:02 UTC

     I am appalled at the destruction and loss of lives due to this unholy
"religious war" against the United States.  It was impossible to imagine
anything like the reality of the situation.  I have watched the
breathtakingly horrific video of a jet fly into the world trade center so
many times, but it still hasn't completely registered ... so horrible.
      I don't know if my question is incendiary or one that anyone else is
asking; "Why do these people hate the United States to such an intense
degree?"  Is this terrorist act going to be a wake-up call that arouses the
citizens of this nation to ask, "WHY?"  What is it about our government's
philosophy, and our corporate brand of capitalism that produces such rabid
enemies?  Could acts of terrorism against the United States have been
mitigated by changes in our own policies?  How can a nation as "Christian" as
ours, as "family values" oriented as ours, produce enemies that can kill our
civilians without conscience?  (Of course, I realize these are rhetorical
questions to experts, but they might be new ideas to the general pubic?)

Rosemary LeBlanc
Cal Poly University
San Luis Obispo, Ca