Re: Fw: NY plane crashes
by SOncu
12 September 2001 06:11 UTC

In a message dated 01-09-12 00:20:15 EDT, smithw@cwu.EDU writes:

> This is a reply to Spector's first posting. I do smell fascism here, but is
> is NOT capitalist.

On such a tragic day with so many innocent people murdered, I wish we never
had such a thread of e-mails. It is unfortunate that we do.

However, although the concern Alan stated in his first mail could have been
worded more carefully than he did, his concern is valid. Below is an excerpt
from Putin' s message to the US and I heard a very similar statement from the
authorities of my country.

<START>
In a televised message, he (Putin) called the attacks "a brazen challenge to
all
mankind, at least all civilised mankind."

"We know from our own experience what terrorism is," he said, standing in a
Kremlin office.

"We understand the feelings of the American people better than anyone. I
want to tell the American people in Russia's name, 'We are with you. We
fully and wholeheartedly share and feel your pain. We support you'."
<END>

It appears everybody knows from their experience what terrorism is and I
think this is dangerous. Some people's terrorists may be other people's
freedom fighters. Of course, I am not confusing this with the tragic event
that happened today in New York and Washington. But unless we have a common
definition of what terrorism is, and unfortunatelly we don't, all sorts of
repression can be justified under the banner of fighting terrorism. Further,
it also depends on who defines what terrorism is: those who are for world
peace and progressive world development or the other party?

Hence, I am also concerned that today's terrible terrorist attack on the US
can give a pretext for destroying of the "western" democracy you currently
enjoy. And, believe me, its absence is miserable. Like Putin, should I also
say that I "know this from our own experience"?

Sabri Oncu