Re: Fw: NY plane crashes
by Tom Griffiths
12 September 2001 01:07 UTC

Already here in Australia newsreaders are attributing blame for the
terrorist attack in New York to "fundamentalist Islamic groups", and
callers to talk-back radio are openly expressing racist sentiments towards
all people of Arabic descent. Some claimed this morning that the attack
justifies our government's recent (racist) actions and policy of physically
turning away asylum seekers from Afghanistan, and are using it to support
there calls to "keep the boat people out of Australia". So, within hours,
all 'Muslim' and / or 'Arabic' and / or 'Middle Eastern' people living
here, or seeking asylum here, are being branded as potential or real
terrorists.

The terrorist attack is very disturbing, and so are the consequences that
have already emerged here, half a world away. I share Alan's fear that
these will get a lot worse.

Tom Griffiths,
Newcastle, Australia.