class interest
by ahmet cakmak
10 September 2001 10:01 UTC

I had a question. Thanks to Arno Tusch I have read the
HDR 2001 report and, I think, my question still
persist: HDR 2001 is a sum of the current literature
on recent technologies of evolutionary economics and
mainstream economics supported new data. There is
nothing new in it. I repeat my question: Almost
everybody knows that there is only one way for
developing countries ( not only so called "emerging
markets", broader than it. Maybe we can say The world
except OECD countries and fourth world) to overcome
poverty and unemployment in the short and medium
run:technological leapforward. They have the
experience and skill to do this. Catching-up is a long
run problem,it is beyond my discussion now. I mean
convergence is possible, serious real wage increases
is possible and low unemployment rates possible.
Why we look South Korea as a succes of military
dictatorship. Why we don't ask that " How can we
repeat it onder democratic regimes and under left-wing
governments ? ". The realist class interest of the
workers of developing countries declare a political
programme which puts technological leapforward
campaign its center. If this is so,why they don't
interest with it ?