Fw: forwarded message from Belarus'
by Andriy Horbal
10 September 2001 07:44 UTC

Dear friends, I just received this message and think it will be interesting
for you.

-----------------

Sorry for a bit off-topic, but I want the world to know before I may be
switched off. Today we are having presidential elections. It is already
completely obvious that they are going to be falsified on large scales.
Observers are beaten and thrown out, ballot boxes are opened during the
night, many many other things. Security council deleted from DNS server the
records for opposition sites: dt.home.by (dzied Talasz), www.bdg.by (live
24hr coverage), www.barcnews.by and many others. Also from inside Belarus we
can NOT see www.svaboda.org (RFE/RL), www.charter97.org (live coverage) and
a dozen other sites. Beltelecom (the sole state-run ISP provider that
controls all other providers) blocks their IP addresses. We are under siege.
People get their phones turned off. I hope mine will still be operational.
At that same time Russian tv media reports that elections in Belarus are
taking place as planned without any falsification. Please, spread the word.
There are several trucks with soldier with machine guns that were unloaded
next to us (Rusijanava street). I am going to October square in the
evening...