Re: Comments on "Gaviotas"
by ecopilgrim
27 August 2001 17:23 UTC

Dear Paul,

Welcome back.

This list has sort of  disolved in the time you were gone.  And, I'm
devoting my time to the FixGov, AlternateCulture, and Simpolicies-General
Lists for the time being as I do believe they have the most potential for
DOING SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

However, I do have your last post and now this one which I will respond
soon -- I had been waiting until you were back online.

There are changes taking place in my life which demand much of my time
and I am now limiting my posts to one or two a day online and I would
like to cut this down to one a week, so it may take awhile for me to
respond, but I will do this.  Thank you for continuing the dialogue.

best regards,

marguerite

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 10:43:27 -0400 Paul Riesz <priesz@netline.cl> writes:

> To Marguerite:
> When I received your message on "Gaviotas" some time ago, I did not
> have
> the time to read it and therefore filed it in my archives for later
> reference.
> Now I should like to make the following comments:
>
> 1. Paolo Lugari's efforts to restore some severely ecologically
> devastated regions are an example for what communities can do to
> achieve
> a sustainable way of living. Though conditions elsewhere may be
> very
> different, the underlying idea that communities CAN improve their
> lot,
> while also looking out for the interests of future generations could
> be
> applied almost anywhere.
> The decisive element in this case was, in my opinion, the dedication
> and
> motivation of a visionary, who was also pragmatic enough to change
> direction as needed.
>
> 2. The reappearance of native hardwood trees under the shelter of
> pine
> plantations should NOT have come as a total surprise, such trees
> often
> do badly on cleared land, but prosper under the protection of
> species,
> that are better adapted to such conditions. I am personally
> involved
> with projects to reintroduce native Lenga trees in a region
> devastated
> by gigantic forest fires, using the method of planting them within
> rows
> of exotic Oregon and Ponderosa pines after about 5-6 years.
>
> 3. It might be possible to terrace steep slopes for food production
> in
> regions with heavy seasonal rainfalls, but reforestation seems to be
> vastly less labor demanding and more rewarding method of protecting
> them
> against erosion and producing an income for the inhabitants. The
> problem
> is the rather long waiting period until the first harvest of
> marketable
> trees, for this reason Chile has created some 30 years ago a subsidy
> for
> such projects, paying about 75% of the cost of establishing  forest
> plantations. Some abuses of this scheme have occurred (some native
> forests were burned down to make way for such plantations) but in
> balance it has not only been extremely successful in stopping
> erosion
> and saving water, but has also been an excellent investment of
> public
> funds, since taxes on industry and exports have been more than
> enough to
> compensate for to funds invested plus interests and hundreds o
> thousands
> of new jobs have been created. A similar subsidy for SUSTAINABLY
> [...]

Marguerite Hampton
Executive Director - Turtle Island Institute
EcoPilgrim@juno.com
http://tii-kokopellispirit.org