Re: some thoughts on globalism/imperialism & class (fwd)
by Mike Alexander
17 August 2001 01:04 UTC

Reid's argument for the inevitability of classes appears to be circular.

Reid argues classes are defined by differential access to luxury goods.  Elimination of classes would require elimination of luxury goods, which is impossible, so classes cannot be eliminated.

Reid defines luxury goods as: The operational definition of a luxury good is a good 95% of which is accessible [italics mine] to only 5% of the population.

The defining characteristic of a luxury good, then, is that a majority of the population is prevented from consuming that good by some force (not necessarily overt).  Consumption of luxury goods is then an act of power in that luxury-good consumers can prevent others from consuming luxury goods.  We can say that the class of luxury good consumers wields power over others not in their class that is sufficient to prevent those others from consuming luxury goods.  This means as long as the luxury consuming class retains this power there will be luxury goods.  Luxury goods cannot be eliminated as long as the luxury-consuming class (or at least its power) exists.

Reid asserts that because we cannot eliminate luxury goods, we cannot eliminate the classes defined by them.

In effect we cannot get rid of classes because we cannot get rid of luxury goods because we cannot get rid of classes ...  and so on.

Having said all this, I must agree with Mr. Reid that elimination of social classes is very likely not feasible, and probably not even desirable.  But the reasons for this are not related to luxury good consumption.

Mike Alexander,  author of
Stock Cycles: Why stocks won't beat money markets over the next 20 years.
http://www.net-link.net/~malexan/STOCK_CYCLES.htm