Re: Inevitability Theses
by CJR
09 August 2001 02:42 UTC

And I suppose they all drive Rolls Royces, have yachts and a few $100
million in the bank. The operational definition of a luxury good is a
good 95% of which is accessible to only 5% of the population. You may
assume that kinds of luxury goods vary from society to society.

Let's not get silly. Are you denying that a) there are such things as
luxury goods, b) they are distributed in some way, and c) there are
essentially two classes of people in society -- those with access to
such goods, and those who lack access to them?

I assume this simple, astounding theory of social classes requires some
profound thought. In fact, it does.

It is not based on the principle of ownership of the means of
production, because this notion has lost its validity -- essentially one
person or family owning a factory or business in a predominately
agricultural society with an overpopulated urban underclass -- since the
time it was first formulated. From an American perspective, this old
concept was also formulated before the Supreme Court decision, "Santa
Clara County v. Southern Pacific" (1886), which gave corporations the
same rights (but not responsibilities) as human beings under the 14th
Amendment.

The luxury good theory of social classes is based on access to
consumables, and access occurs in different ways in different societies
with different ways of distributing especially luxury goods.

Try thinking about it a few days.

//CJR