Re: Hardt & Negri on Genoa
by Louis Proyect
22 July 2001 18:30 UTC

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 11:34:15 -0400, Gregory Wilpert wrote:

>The passage being referred to here is, I believe, on page 309 and
>following, under the heading, "The Pyramid of Global Constitution"
>
>"At the narrow pinnacle of the pyramid there is one superpower, the
>United States, that holds the hegemony over the global use of force.
>. .

Unfortunately, this business about "the pyramid" is utterly devoid of
the Marxist method and falls within the rather bogus notion of
"constitutionalism" that Hardt-Negri prop up with readings from
Polybius and the American founding fathers et al.

Key to this is understanding drawn from the world of "globalization"
theory, namely that the nation-state no longer matters. On page 306,
just prior to Wilpert's citation, the authors state, "It would seem,
then, that the state has been defeated and corporations rule the
world!" This is David Korten-ism, not Marxism. As I have stated
repeatedly, I never would have taken the trouble to answer the two
professors if their book had not been touted in the bourgeois press
(and by the miscreant Zizek) as a Communist Manifesto for the 21st
century.

--
Louis Proyect, lnp3@panix.com on 07/22/2001

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org